Monday, July 2, 2007

Apostasy and Fresh Asparagus

I love living in the city. My wife and I walk lots of places. When we do drive we get places within a few minutes. We meet interesting people we'd never find elsewhere. I like the fact that every street corner doesn't look the same and that you don't have to walk across 60 acres of parking lot to get from one store to another. I feel good about the fact that I'm not burning a bunch of gasoline.

This weekend I was reminded how inferior the city can be in small ways. I was way down south at 135th street for breakfast yesterday morning. We decided that since we were already down there, we might as well go grocery shopping. At the risk of being hyperbolic, it was magical. The store was clean, the parking lot was clean, it was cheaper, I could maneuver through the aisles, the produce was at least 3 times better, and (most importantly) they actually had everything in stock. Anyone who has ever been to the Sunfresh in Westport, either of the Brookside stores, or God forbid, an Apple Market can tell you that none of them fit this description in whole (or largely even in part).

So despite my general worry about the environment, my aversion to urban sprawl, and who knows what other suddenly dispensable beliefs, I will be going back to the nether-regions for my groceries. I can't help it. I guess I'd rather be a hypocrite with completely checked off grocery list and a decent bag of apples.

1 comment:

KC Sponge said...

I don't know - I don't think I could give up my cashier at Price Chopper in Brookside . . . out in JoCo, the kids quit after saving enough money for their iPhone. (That was unfair of me, I know - but in the spirit of being a hypocrite . . . )

And please don't forget the carts that actually roll forward and are rust free . . . but I kinda dig the crowded parking lots - gives opportunity for some random connections and some really good mean faces.

 

Free Blog Counter