Friday, June 26, 2009

NBA Draft

I like the NBA draft better than the NFL draft. Maybe this is because I can tell a lot more from watching a basketball player play in college (or elsewhere) than I can from watching a football player do the same. Maybe it's just because the NBA draft is shorter.

There were several interesting things that came out of last night's draft.

1. I somehow labored under the assumption that Blake Griffin was 6'8" when he is, apparently, 6'10". They may not seem like a huge difference, but for a player of his style it is. The Clipper curse may still get him, but I like his odds to overcome.

2. People are killing Minnesota for taking two point guards at 5 and 6. I disagree. If you think they are the best two players there, take them. Maybe they can't start together in the backcourt, but maybe they can. And maybe they will trade one of them before the season anyway.

3. Brandon Jennings may be a great player. He seems to have the tools. He also seems like the "player most likely to do something real dumb and be out of the league in 3 years."

4. The Cavs have Shaq now and the Magic have VC. I've seen suggestions that the Shaq thing isn't that big of a deal because he isn't what he used to be. That is true, but he also isn't Zydrunas Ilgauskas. And he looked pretty good against Dwight Howard in the all-star game (yes, I am aware I just made a judgement based on an all-star game).

5. Amare Stoudemire is good, but I think the Warriors would be crazy to trade Stephen Curry, Brandan Wright, Andris Biedrins and Marco Belinelli for what could end up being only one year of his services. Check that, super crazy.

6. If you are drafted in the second round you might turn out to be great, but no one should ever describe you as great on draft night. If you were great on draft night, you would have been drafted earlier.

7. I say Patty Mills becomes an integral part of the Trailblazers future success.

8. My bias towards teams really extends to their draft picks. When he was picked by the Pistons, I made a mental note that Chase Budinger might actually turn into a steal. When the Pistons traded him to the Rockets, I mentally moved him to the bust column. There was really no reason for either of those opinions. Actually, the Rockets have a much better recent drafting record than do the Pistons.

9. I am already looking forward to next season.

No comments:

 

Free Blog Counter