Tuesday, May 26, 2009

A Fine Question

So one of the English professors who reads this blog let me know that "reoccurring" isn't a word and that I should have used "recurring" instead. Recurring sounds like the right word to me and the online dictionary has no record for "reoccurring".

The question then is why my spell check recognizes the word "reoccurring" as legitimate. Is it a word so often misused that it has become an acceptable part of our written language? Was the creator of the spell check asleep at the wheel? Or is this all just an elaborate plot to keep the English professors reading my blog from doing anything more dangerous with their time?

Maybe its all three!

(bonus points profs: there are several errors in this post. how many can you spot?)

No comments:

 

Free Blog Counter