Thursday, May 21, 2009

Back in the Saddle

If you felt slightly more optimistic and joyful when you awoke on Tuesday morning, I like to think it was because I returned to American soil Monday afternoon. I suspect for most of you the effect was subtle (so subtle, perhaps, you did not notice it).

Anyway, it's time to get back on horse and continue riding this thing into the ground. I need to give a special thanks to BSD and ESL for keeping things hopping the first two weeks I was gone, and I need to thank Nate for giving me a list of reasons why I should not do what I had already done when he chose to finally post.

I can happily report that I did not run into guerrillas or gorillas. I believe I contracted no fevers and that my extremities are all watertight. I can say that it was winter, so the heat was in no way oppressive. The wine is great, the whiskey is universally available, and the food was quite good.

In fact, I would recommend a trip to Africa to any and all. It is a fascinating and beautiful place, and the people are some of the most hospitable on the planet (guerrillas not withstanding).

I'll have to say, however, that I am thrilled to be back. Obama is widely popular, the Royals are within sight of 1st place, the NBA playoffs are really getting going, my friends and family are all well and the weather is beautiful. When you can return to all that, it's good to be home.

No comments:

 

Free Blog Counter