Monday, August 11, 2008

Olympic Fever

Last night, I was getting ready for the upcoming week and thinking about going to bed around 10:30 or so. I also had the Olympics on. I wanted to see the men's 4 x 100 freestyle relay because, well I'm not sure exactly. I guess because there was drama wrapped up in Michael Phelps' quest for eight gold medals and the French captain declaring that they would "smash" the American team.

So I sat watching the race as the French took what looked like an insurmountable lead. It looked like the entire pool was ahead of world record pace, but other than that, it seemed as though the drama wasn't going to be there. Then the U.S. anchor, Jason Lezak, started to gain on the French anchor in the last 50 meters.

A couple of important points here. One, I don't particularly care about swimming. Two, I don't hate the French. Yet, when Lezak finished the fastest split in relay history to out-touch the French swimmer by a fingernail. I, alone in my living room, leaped off my couch and screamed, "Yeeeessssss! USA! USA!"

Has there been anyone in my vicinity, I would have probably high-fived and bear-hugged them. Why? I have no idea why. I guess because it is the Olympics, and I have Olympic fever.

3 comments:

Evil St. Louisan said...

I got on my feet and yelled, "go", "go" the last 50 meters followed by me fist pumping and forcing my wife to high five me. I can't recall ever reacting like that for an Olympic moment.

Jim said...

I have talked to at least three people today who watched the race last night, and everyone has a similar story. I'm still not sure what made the race so compelling, but it sure was.

bigsmithdude said...

i had a fever, and relay was the cure! it was arguably the greatest sporting event i, or anyone, have ever seen, and yet phelps and company's reaction to the victory might have been even more entertaining. watch it in slow motion if you have the means. too bad andre had such a big heart...

 

Free Blog Counter