Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Who are the Ad Wizards...

If you want proof that Kansas City's pro sports franchises don't take the people of the city seriously, simply look at the effort they put into marketing. This morning, unless I was still dreaming, I awoke to a Royals commercial that featured the voice of some woman talking about how much fun it is at a game.

The woman throws out some of the usual family fun stuff, but as she goes it becomes clear she is talking to a friend named Sarah. I had no idea, where this was headed until she mentions that Sarah needs to get past this "hockey mom" business (or something pretty close to that - like I said I was still staggering towards my alarm clock). Then the voice says something like "you too, McCain."

Now, I'm not sure whether this commercial was showing some tacit support for McCain, making fun of the Republican nominees, or most likely just trying to tie the Royals to something people care about. But I can't think of a much worse idea. You, at the very least, have the possibility that McCain fans will think it is mockery, and Obama fans will think it is supportive. Then everyone is angry about an ad that is dumb even if everyone takes it the right way.

This is not long after the Chiefs started running an ad featured the venerated spokesduo of Kevin Costner and Michael Garozzo. Why on earth the Chiefs would ever think a testimonial from either of those guys would make me think about how badly I too needed to come to a game is really a mystery. Even more of a mystery is that they felt like pairing the two in back-to-back spots would not be even more incongruous.

The point is that the two teams must not be trying at all. The belief seems to be that if they throw anything at all up on the radio (or TV), people will respond. After all, these are the only teams they've got. If only that wasn't so.

No comments:

 

Free Blog Counter