Friday, May 11, 2007

Smoke People, Not Cigarettes

If you listen to conservative talk radio as I occasionally do, you will no doubt hear about the stuff that enrages the right. You know some guy wants to keep school teachers from praying with students, or some lady wants to ban kids from playing with dynamite. Needless to say, I often find myself unable to tap the mental reserves it would take for me to process the outrage.

But for reasons I haven't completely articulated to myself yet, I am on board with calling this new movie development stupid.

Apparently, there is a group out there trying to get movies with smoking an 'R' rating. Read the article, because I just oversimplified things (and that is what I hate about a lot of "rightwing outrage").

I like to make the argument that the ratings' focus on nudity over violence is sutpendously stupid. Well, add smoking to nudity as movie content that I don't find as potentially damaging as disembowelment, decapitation, or any of the other forms of casual violence abundant in films with less than an R rating.

1 comment:

Dan said...

That's Dan Glickman, the former rep from Kansas! Sadly, he was a Democrat, too.

 

Free Blog Counter