Friday, August 13, 2010

Always Waiting, Always Watching

Via Kevin Drum, I see the Wall Street Journal has an interesting infographic and piece on websites and the tracking info they collect on you while you are on the Internet.

It's pretty crazy. The least intrusive major website is Wikipedia, which installs 0 tracking files wehn you visit. Facebook and Craigslist score pretty well here too.

On the other end of the spectrum is dictionary.com (WTF???) who install 234 tracking files when you visit. What on earth they possible need with those kind of files is beyond me. They have to be just selling info right? I mean I can't imagine how they can be collecting info to make my definition finding experience better.

Just remember that someboyd somewhere knows you were here.

No comments:

 

Free Blog Counter